Saturday 30 December 2017

Ditch the board shorts: A guide to having the right surfing gear

When I was younger, I always thought surfers only wear board shorts and bikinis. As my passion for the sport deepened, I found that these won’t suffice when it comes to being hit by the waves, and there’s a chance the wave can leave me shorts-less. 

Image source: pixabay.com

Gear for warm water 

Comfort is always part of the requirement when looking for something to wear for surfing. However, comfort isn’t the only thing that has to be considered; find a gear that stays put and doesn’t move around. If you desire to have that nice tan line on your body, it’s okay to wear board shorts and sporty bikinis, but beware of the chafing the sand on the board might cause to your body. Once you’ve achieved the tan you want, it would be best to wear a rash guard to protect your skin. A clothing’s flexibility and weight should be considered as well; leaving the waves naked is the last thing you’d want to happen to you. 

Gear up for cold water 

Depending on the temperature, you might need to wear a wetsuit. In very cold climates, a hooded wetsuit would serve you well. However, pro surfers are most likely to skip this as it gets too hot to wear. Even so, the gloves, hood, and booties are encouraged if the water gets too cold. A basic wetsuit will do if you’re surfing on the east coast of Australia or California’s sunny west coast. 

Image source: mauiinformationguide.com

Hi! My name is John Clemenza, and I’m an 18-year-old surfer from Oahu, Hawaii. My love for the sport began when my parents taught me how to ride the waves when I was 7. I’ve participated in some local and international amateur surfing competitions, and I think I’m ready to take on the challenge of turning pro. For more updates like this, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment